TALBOT SUPERINTENDENT PRESENTS UPDATE ON ESSA

Wssa-thumb.pngDr. Kelly Griffith shared an update on the status of the Maryland State Department of Education’s (MSDE) progress on response to the requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) with the Talbot County Board of Education at their October meeting. ESSA, signed into law by President Obama in 2015, was a bipartisan measure which updated the nation’s national education law and longstanding commitment to equal opportunity for all students (ed.gov).   

The MSDE will meet on December 4, 2018 to finalize the Maryland School Report Card in accordance with the ESSA accountability system.  The report card will reflect a framework of indicators for school performance ratings.

High School indicators will include: 65% coming from academic achievement, graduation rate, English language proficiency, and readiness for post-secondary. The remaining 35% will reflect school quality which also includes chronic absenteeism, school climate, and opportunities/access to well-rounded curriculum. Elementary and Middle Schools will include: 65% counting as academic achievement, academic progress, and English language proficiency.  Again, 35% will be ratings for school quality which includes chronic absenteeism, school climate, and opportunities/access to well-rounded curriculum.

There will also be minimum reporting requirements which disaggregate all indicators by student group, which is designed to build equity into the analysis.
MSDE will need to establish cut points for the assignment of stars for their five -star rating system, which will determine the final composite/summative score.  This composite score for the school must be calculated numerically in a percentile form in order to meet ESSA requirements.

Based on the school report card, MSDE will determine which schools will need more support both with professional development resources and funding resources.  There will also be a component of the ESSA reporting requirement which addresses funding by school.  The per pupil allocation of federal, state, and local funds, which includes actual personnel and non-personnel expenditures, will be disaggregated by source of funds based on federal state and local funds for each local education agency and each school in the state for the preceding fiscal year. The United States Department of Education has allowed states a one-year extension of the deadline to report school-level expenditure data.  Maryland will take advantage of this extension.  More information will be forthcoming as MSDE completes its work toward meeting all applicable statutory and regulatory requirements imposed by ESSA.

 

 


All TCPS News
#
October 12th,, SMMHS Art students painted local business windows for Halloween!
#
Dr. Kelly Griffith shared an update on the status of the Maryland State Department of Education’s (MSDE) progress on response to…
#
The Board of Education recognized students who have achieved the status of Advanced Placement Scholar through their performance…
#
Mark your calendars for the TCPS Fall Productions, West Side Story (EHS) and Noises Off (SMMHS)!
#
The TCPS Education Foundation announces its first annual “Mission Possible – Celebrating TCPS Alumni and Supporting Teachers”…
#
A ceremony was held at Saint Michaels High School to induct new members into the school’s chapter of the Tri-M Music Honor…