TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE- 10.16
EASTON, MD 21601
STUDENT CONDUCT – BULLYING, HARASSMENT OR INTIMIDATION
I. Board Philosophy
The Board of Education of Talbot County believes that every student must be afforded the opportunity to attend school and school activities without the fear of injury or intimidation.
Therefore, behaviors such as unequal or discriminating treatment based on factors such as race, ethnicity, region, religion, gender, sexual orientation, language, socio-economic status, age or disability, as well as intimidation, hazing, harassment, sexual harassment, assault and battery, fighting, and bullying have no place in a civilized society and no place in our schools. Reprisal or retaliation against individuals who report acts of bullying, harassment, or intimidation or who are victims, witnesses, bystanders, or others with reliable information about an act of bullying, harassment, or intimidation is equally unacceptable. The Talbot County Public Schools instructional program reflects the commitment of the school system to promote a school climate that reflects the diversity of the community and teaches students to recognize and correct stereotyping, discrimination, bias and prejudice.
The Board directs the Superintendent to develop regulations to ensure that:
- Prohibition of bullying in schools and reprisal and retaliation against individuals who report acts of bullying, as well as subsequent and standard consequences and remedial actions shall be included as part of a whole school program which would include the following elements: prevention, intervention/remediation, and consequences.
- Standard consequences and remedial actions for persons committing acts of bullying, harassment, or intimidation, for persons engaged in reprisal or retaliation, and for persons found to have made false accusations, shall be consistently and fairly applied by the Principal/designee after an appropriate investigation has determined that such an offense has occurred.
- Procedures for reporting acts of bullying, harassment, or intimidation are established.
- Procedures for the prompt investigation of acts of bullying, harassment or intimidation are established and implemented by the Principal/designee.
- Types of support services available to the student bullying victim, witness, and any bystander shall be communicated to those students involved and their parent/guardian by the Principal/designee.