TALBOT COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS
POLICY CODE 7.3
EASTON, MD 21601
- I.The Board of Education of Talbot County provides Workers’ Compensation insurance for all of its employees pursuant to State law. The purpose of Workers’ Compensation is to provide compensation for loss of earning capacity resulting from accidental injuries sustained in the course of employment.
- II.In the event of an injury sustained in the course of employment, the employee must immediately report the injury to his/her principal or supervisor. The nature, extent, and cause of the injury must be stated. The injured employee is to report to The Memorial Hospital at Easton for treatment if the injury requires medical attention.
- III.The principal or supervisor shall report the injury immediately via the Report of Accident/Injury directly to the Finance Office. The Finance Office will report the injury to the insurance company and the Workers’ Compensation Commission.
- IV.Time lost of three (3) days or less due to an injury occurring in the course of employment will be charged to the employee’s personal sick leave If the employee is absent for more than three (3) days, the employee’s personal sick leave will be charged until the employee returns to work, subject to applicable Board of Education policies. If the employee’s claim is compensable, the employee shall endorse over to the Board of Education any Workers’ Compensation payments made for temporary disability, and the personal sick leave will be reinstated in the same proportional amount as the Workers’ Compensation rate is to the employee’s regular salary. If the employee is on a non-paid leave of absence, he/she will not receive salary payments and any Workers’ Compensation payments for temporary disability due to the injury may be retained by the employee.
- V.Employees who are in an extended absence due to a work-related injury must comply with all Board of Education policies related to leaves of absence and may, after exhaustion of all applicable Family and Medical Leave Act leave, depending on the best interests of the school system, be placed on long-term leave and/or be terminated.