Close this search box.

District News

NJROTC Program is now offered as a TCPS Career and Technology Education “Completer”

The Maryland State Department of Education’s (MSDE) Division of Career and College Readiness is pleased to announce the Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) as a new Career and Technical Education (CTE) program of study.  This program is the result of collaborative efforts among the Division of Career and College Readiness, local school systems, and representatives from each branch of JROTC.  

Four JROTC programs of study have been developed, one for each branch of the military: Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines.  Talbot County Public Schools currently offers the Naval Junior Officer Training Corps (NJROTC).  The NJROTC program is comprised of four required courses that students must complete in order to be considered a CTE completer. 

Students currently enrolled in NJROTC courses may be counted as CTE completers. The Junior Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (JROTC) is currently offered in 16 of Maryland’s 24 local school systems. 

Talbot County Public Schools is proud to add NJROTC to its list of approved CTE programs.  NJROTC  program is designed to teach high school students the value of citizenship, leadership, service to the community, personal responsibility, and a sense of accomplishment, while instilling in them self-esteem, teamwork, and self-discipline.  NJROTC helps students build a strong knowledge base of self-discovery and leadership skills applicable to many leadership and managerial situations in both the military and civilian sectors.

“Our NJROTC has a long history of providing students the opportunity to explore and pursue future service or careers in the military,” said Dr. Kelly Griffith, Superintendent.  “We are thrilled that these students will now be able to earn the accomplished designation of CTE Completer by participating in this program.”

If you need additional information or have any questions, please email Robin Werner, CTE Curriculum Supervisor at or your school counselor.