As a reminder to students and families, Talbot County has a policy regarding the possession and use of portable communication devices on TCPS property ( 10.19 Possession of Portable Communication Devices on Talbot County Public Schools Property) which applies to students on school property and at school-sponsored activities. Our goal is to create and maintain a positive and safe learning environment without distraction or disruption to the educational environment from electronic devices. Students may possess portable communication devices during the school day in accordance with the following regulations:
- Prior to entering the school building, the portable communication device must be turned off or silenced during school hours.
- During regular bus transportation to and from school, students may possess portable communication devices, but the devices must be turned off or silenced. Headphones are permitted.
- During bus transportation to and from athletic events or other school–sponsored events, students may use cell phones only after receiving permission from the athletic coach or the principal/designee.
- Students participating in extracurricular activities such as athletics, clubs, drama, etc. may use portable communication devices on school property after regular instructional hours.
- Any staff member or student having knowledge or reasonable suspicion of unauthorized possession or use of a portable communication device by a student on Talbot County Public School property shall promptly report this information to the Principal/designee.
- Under no circumstances are students permitted to use portable communication devices on Talbot County Public Schools property or Talbot County Public Schools sponsored activities or events in order to transmit any text or images that are obscene, pornographic, illegal, profane, violate academic policies, or invade another’s privacy. This includes “sexting” (the sharing of explicit or otherwise sexually provocative photos).
- Students are responsible for keeping their portable communication devices secure.
- Talbot County Public Schools is not responsible for the loss of any student’s portable communication devices.