Student Services Menu
Home Instruction Information
Parents of students ages 5 – 18 (include compulsory attendance document) may choose to educate their child at home, rather then enrolling them in a traditional public or private school. Talbot County Public Schools supports Home Instruction in accordance with the Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 13A.10.01
If you are registering your child for an online program that does not have a physical building, i.e. a brick and mortar school, then your child will need to be registered for Home Instruction because you are a resident of Talbot County and your child is not registered in a public or private school.
Parents choosing to educate their child at home must:
1. Notify the local public school system of their decision to instruct their child(ren), every year. Parents must keep the local public school system informed of their decision to continue or discontinue home schooling.
Home Instruction Notification Form
2. Teach their child a regular, thorough instruction from the parent in each of the following subjects:
- Reading/Language arts
- Social Studies
- Physical Education
- Health (May be incorporated through science or physical education)
- Students in grades 9-12 may substitute alternative electives of choice for art, music, and physical education. ( Portfolio Review Form)
3. Be supervised, either by the local public school system or by a private organization approved by the Maryland State Department of Education. List of Nonpublic Entities Registered to Supervise Home Instruction of Maryland Students.
For your reference please review the Maryland State Department of Education Frequently Asked Questions regarding Home Instruction in Maryland: Home Instruction FAQ.